Octans is a program to solve Algot's Wordplay (Wordsearch) puzzles
Table of Contents
This was recorded with
- Octans v0.2.3: Visualized Output
- Octans v0.1.0 - finds 10 solutions to a puzzle: https://asciinema.org/a/385598
- Octans v0.1.0: https://asciinema.org/a/385500
- Octans 2021-01-14: https://asciinema.org/a/384464
- alt-link (download): https://andinus.nand.sh/static/octans
Octans is released to CPAN, you can get it from there or install it from
source. In any case,
zef is required to install the distribution.
You can run Octans without
zef. Just run
raku -Ilib bin/octans from
within the source directory.
- Note: Octans requires
WWWmodule. You can however chose to not install it if you wish to run it locally. Checkout the
zef install octans.
Octans should be installed, try running
octans --version to confirm.
You can either download the release archive generated by cgit/GitHub or
clone the project if you have
- Download the release:
- Extract the file.
zef install .in source directory.
All commits will be signed by my PGP Key.
# Clone the project. git clone https://git.tilde.institute/andinus/octans cd octans # Install octans. zef install .
Initially it went over the list of words & checked if they exist in the grid. This was very slow.
Currently it walks the grid & checks if the current string exist in the dictionary. This is faster for these reasons:
- The dictionary is sorted, we perform binary range search on the dictionary to return the list of all words that start with specific string.
- Starting positions are limited.
If the dictionary wasn't sorted then this probably would've been slower than previous implementation.
neighbors subroutine (
lib/Octans/Neighbors.rakumod) was taken from
my AoC (Advent of Code) 2020's day-11 solution.
Octans's default dictionary file is
flag to change the dictionary. The words in dictionary must be seperated
by a newline (
\n) & sorted alphabetically.
Generates a video solution for the puzzle.
Minimum word length to look for. Default is 7.
The path to be passed must be a readable file or an url in either format:
- Link when you view it from your local instance: https://tilde.zone/web/statuses/105531207939242077
- Link from Algot's profile: https://mastodon.art/@Algot/105333136907848390
This will increase verbosity.
v0.2.3 - 2022-01-12
Add visualize option.
--visualizenow generates a video solution for the puzzle using Cairo and ffmpeg.
v0.2.0 - 2021-03-04
--samplewill not solve the sample puzzle.
Removed shorthand for verbose option
-vwon't work in
Change representation of visited squares
--verbosewas passed, it would print the solved puzzle with visited squares replaced with fancy characters. Now it marks them by adding:
*to visited + gray squares (start positions)
/to visited squares
Removed time taken
Time taken won't be printed anymore.
It was misleading because the time printed was not the time taken to find that specific word, it was the time taken to find all the words upto that word. It would reset for each starting position.
v0.1.4 - 2021-02-19
Fixed the puzzle parsing regex
The older regex fails to parse this puzzle: https://mastodon.art/@Algot/105690195742318751.
v0.1.3 - 2021-01-24
- Added an option to specify minimum word length.
v0.1.2 - 2021-01-20
- Input puzzle can now be of any size & not restricted to 4x4 grid.
v0.1.1 - 2021-01-20
- Read puzzle from a file.
v0.1.0 - 2021-01-19
- Improved performance by using a better algorithm to find words in the grid.